Thursday, March 15, 2012

And Leave Your Brothers Behind




For blind eye observations, road trips can be alot of fun -- if you leave your two brothers behind.  But somehow mom and dad don't see it that way.  I'm already 8-months old and you'd think people would listen to what I have to say a bit more. My name is Katie and they tell me I'm new around here, but I've known this family all my life.

Let me tell you what a car trip looks like from my depth of experience and lofty perspective.  We'll take a really important journey -- like a trip to gramma's.  First I have to load up all my supplies in a big carry-on bag, or maybe two for starters.  Sure don't want to leave anything important behind.  Brother Larry, age 4, and brother Justin, age 11 also have to bring along their valuables in their bags.  But they call them pockets.

I get my own special seat in the car.  But even though mom has had a full 8 months to figure the thing out, she still keeps putting me in backwards.  I don't know what's so difficult about this seat.  But almost every time she straps me in, mom makes a funny face and runs back into the house to get something she's forgotten.  It sometimes takes her two or three trips to get everything she needs to hold me into that car seat.  Facing backwards isn't so bad.  I can keep a good eye on where we have been in case we have to turn back in a hurry for some reason.  Larry and Justin get told they might need to go back quite a bit.  Once we're breezing down the road I can start watching all the interesting sights we don't care to stop at disappear out the back; like the tree tops, powerlines, overhead signs and street lights.  I really need to stop and examine those things sometime.

Elbows.  I've learned alot about those from my fellow passengers in the back seat. Elbows really don't taste very good and they don't feel very good up side of the head either.  But I'm sure they're good for something.  Justin once told me they were used for cleaning out your ears.  Guess I'm not big enough for that yet. Mine don't reach.  Maybe I should start with Larry's ears first.  I see about as much of elbows in the car as I do of the treetops.

A great roadtrip requires a great collection of toys.  There's your round colored ring for putting in your mouth, your cloth book for putting in your mouth and your brother's Leggos for putting in your mouth.  Sometimes the more fun a toy is the more everyone jumps at me from all directions to take it away.  It's always good to share.  That's why I try to toss as many of my toys up to the front seat as possible.

One of my favorite pasttimes in the back seat is napping.  I'm really quite good at it when you let me pick my own times.  The trip to gramma's is great for nodding off.  That way I don't have to listen to mom and dad trying to decide how fast to go or which side trips to take.

Everybody should share a good roadtrip from time to time.  I've come to really appreciate these adventures to gramma's place all the way across town over 12 miles.  It's as least as good as my next bottle of milk which I don't have to share with my brothers.  Buckle up everyone, let's go see what we're leaving behind.

 # # # 

No comments:

Post a Comment